Thursday, 24 April 2008

brain

I have a slight headache. I can't stand reading biological textbooks which was based to animal experiment. Although I have to think over calmly to make a short thesis, always some sympathy appears suddenly in my mind. I am likely to cry.


Anyway, as you know, in evolutionary history, human made wrinkle in the brain to create more surface area. However dolphin created larger surface area than human's.

I understand that the more the body size become bigger, the more their brain gain the weight, so no wonder that elephant or whale has bigger brain than human's.

But non-human didn't have to create more surface area. Why does dolphin have super-wrinkling brain?

I asked my tutor why, but he said it is not matter whether surface area is larger or not, because only human creates sophisticated tools, and has verbal skill thanks to the physical ability and social nature. Of course I know that, but I wanted to know why dolphin had to create more surface area into their limited brain area.

Yuji Ikegaya said in his book, unfortunately dolphin doesn't have hands and fingers, so they can not use up their brain cleverly. Well, why does he assume, dolphin has not enough wisdom which deserve their brain? Why does human always prejudge even about our non-experience? It might be only we can not see.


It was too hard to write in English. I won't be able to write this topic even by my mother tongue. whoof...




Thank you for reading.Japanese blog ranking site