Friday, 16 May 2008

paternalism

I sit down to study today. Next my paper's theme is about medical paternalism. (it's too hard to write in English...but i'll just try.)

Paternalism is related to paternal authority etymologically. Generally you regard paternal counsel is good for his children. Because children have not ability enough to decide everything correctly, so usually paternal counsel is assumed a good way to lead children to be happy.

In the old days, doctors used to be assumed the same as father for the patient. Because doctors make the best decision for the live of patient.
But in recent years, it becomes a big problem if doctors see their patient as their children. Of course, doctors have mach more expert knowledge than the patient. But individual value of patients are extremely diverse. There are high possibility that doctors impose hard medical cure in the hospital to the patient for living long.
But the patient might hope to live with his/her family at home until end of life.

So, paternalism means to invade patient's identity. Doctors have to regard the patient's opinion as important. And doctors have to make opportunities for communicating with the patient, and give the patient "informed consent".

But there are some problem. Usually doctors must impose a cure to the patient whenever doctors regarded as the patient could not make a decision rightly. For example, even if an alcohol addicted patient hopes to drink, doctors impose stop-drinking. The situation isn't assumed as paternalism. On the other hand, at the case of patients who suffer from cancer, it depends on each patient's decision. Because doctor regard the patient as a person who has personal integrity(identity). But it is difficult to tell the difference whether patient keep their identity or not.

I can guess what kind of identity my family have. But I can not say I know my friend's identity perfectly. And I can not say they keep their identity as usual even when they have a ill. So, if doctors or social workers or nurses need to know the patient's identity, the job will become huge task.

I know doctor have to examine a patient as a human, not just examine a illness. But we are in the rising cost of health care, isn't it idealistic theory?


Thank you for reading.Japanese blog ranking site