Monday, 5 May 2008

assertiveness

Do you know about assertiveness training?

Introduction: The Importance of Assertiveness

TO ASSERT - To state an opinion, claim a right, or establish authority. If you assert yourself, you behave in a way that expresses your confidence, importance or power and earns you respect from others. - From the Oxford English Dictionary

And as Wikipedia says about assertiveness : It is linked to self-esteem and considered an important communication skill.

It is difficult for you to express real your intention to others. In addition, there are high possibility to get you wrong, if you are not good at reading people's minds.

So, Japanese tend to be quiet whenever someone ask to remark your own opinion. And,in debate games, most of Japanese feel awkward to controvert an opinion.

I think KY is very Japanese. KY stands for the Japanese words Kuuki Yomenai. It means you can not read an atmosphere of the situation. KY is used like this: " You are a KY guy. Read this atmosphere!" I think there are two different meanings of the word. First is Japanese tend to be keep staying same atmosphere, so they feel unwell when someone change the atmosphere. Second is Japanese tend to be expected to act for others' feelings.

It might be good to do KY, if everyone has common sense in Japan. But although I am Japanese, I feel strange that everyone try to share same opinion or same atmosphere. What's the matter with that? I sometimes say something wrong. But never mind, I can correct it after. It is important to try to express my true opinion without KY.

I try to write my own opinions in English here. Because I want to get not only English skill, but also assertiveness ability. My purpose is to communicate in English with non-Japanese. If I didn't do the training, I won't be able to get true communication skill.

However assertiveness ability is requested to remark own opinion while considering others feeling at the same time. Even in Japanese, it is too difficult to deny opponent's opinion without harm. I wonder how long I study English, I could get assertiveness ability in English. Thinking of that, I feel gloomy.


Thank you for reading.Japanese blog ranking site