Thursday, 27 March 2008

welcome home, Endeavour



CAPE CANAVERAL, Florida (AP) reported: The space shuttle Endeavour and its crew of seven returned to Earth Wednesday, making a rare nighttime touchdown to wrap up "a two-week adventure" at the international space station.


First of all, it was a relief to know that all crews landed safety. But I really didn't interest them at all. They said Japanese astronaut Mr Doi was in ship, and he had a important mission for attaching the Japanese laboratory to the space station. Maybe it was good of him to make it, but do you think that Japan could afford to make the lab in debt hell of over 800 trillion yen? And although I had no idea what the lab was for, was it necessarily for us?? I don't think so.

Whenever I heard the name Space Shuttle, it remind me of the Challenger exploding. I was excited watching the live telecast of the countdown. However I was stunned by what I saw soon after the launching. It became one of my most shocking incidents. At that time, I couldn't stand to imagine how the families feel. I hope they overcame the grief.


It is said that the space developments would contribute to the prosperity of humankind. But there are more crucial challenge we still have to do, aren't there? They said China also wanted to join the projects. I'm sure all of the major powers aim for military use of space.



Do you know the person named R. Buckminster Fuller? He was an architect, philosopher, and innovator etc. Buckminster donated his life to the question; "Does humanity have a chance to survive lastingly and successfully on planet Earth, and if so, how?"
To my surprise, even in 45 years ago, Buckminster describe his vision in his book titled "Operating Manual for Spaceship Earth", it say we have to achieve sustainable development without environmental destruction.
Instead of aiming own profit maximization, if all of the politicians, capitalists, owners, scholars, and engineers could aim the dream of Buckminster around the world, it would be the way to accomplish world peace.



CNN News : Shuttle makes night landing after 'two-week adventure'

Wikipedia : Spaceship Earth (R. Buckminster Fuller)