Tuesday, 18 March 2008

military-draft system



Citing references in Wikipedia: "The Korean Demilitarized Zone is a strip of land running across the Korean Peninsula that serves as a buffer zone between North and South Korea. The DMZ cuts the Korean Peninsula roughly in half, crossing the 38th parallel on an angle, with the west end of the DMZ lying south of the parallel and the east end lying north of it."

Today, finally there was an announcement that Gong Yoo was posted to a front line base, named Cheorwon-gun. Do you know Gong Yoo? Although Gong Yoo is rather new to Japanese, he is an acclaimed Korean acter back home, hitting the big time with a drama "Coffee prince 1st shop" in 2007. But unfortunately, he received a draft card when he was shooting the drama. Why did it happen at the worst time for him? Poor thing!

I knew that there are military-draft system in Korea, but I didn't know how long or how hard it is. After Gong Yoo entered the army on 14th January this year, I researched how the system work.

South-Korea is still at war with North-Korea. They are under a flag of truce. Then military service is national obligation of every Korean male. They join in the Army or the Navy or the Air Force about 2-year terms from ages 19 to 30. At first, they receive military training for 5 weeks, after that, they are sent to a military base, or less dangerous place.

The area Gong Yoo were sent is just front of DMZ and snowbelt. He would have a backache overdoing the snow shoveling. And He would get damage mentally as well as physically. Because newcomer have to endure harsh training and punishment by superior. I heard no less than 100 soldier a year commit suicide during their duty. It might be real hazard.

Japanese people are peace-addicted. We don't think any needs to defend ourself from attack. I wonder whether it is excusable or not. All I can do is only praying for not breaking out the war.



Wikipedia : Korean Demilitarized Zone