CNN reported.: "From Rome's Colosseum to the Sydney Opera House to the Sears Tower's famous antennas in Chicago, floodlit icons of civilization have gone dark for Earth Hour, a worldwide campaign to highlight the waste of electricity and the threat of climate change. The environmental group WWF has urged governments, businesses and households to turn back to candle power for at least 60 minutes Saturday starting at 8 p.m. wherever they were."
What a shame! Tokyo, home to neon, didn't take part in the event. I regard Japanese government as lack of energy to involving in environmental issues. Or didn't WWF Japan work on the government? I couldn't see any announce about the campaign on the WWF Japan official home page.
Because of educational campaign, it was OK if just the Tokyo Tower, a popular symbol of Tokyo, turned all the lights off. Everybody know off-lighting for only one hour wouldn't act as preventing of global warming. But the point of the event was to feel awkward to leaving the light on for granted.
When I was doing home-stay in England, at first, I felt the sitting room was dimmed, but soon I realized it was really nice to be relax with indirect lighting. In Japan, we usually use glaring fluorescent lights in our house same as office or school. Even the corner of a roomy room, where we can read a book at. I feel it is too bright after my return.
I know it is good for my health as well as preventing of global warming, if I wake up with the sunrise and go to bed early. Although I tried it sometimes, because of having a weak will, I'm still night bird. It might be nice changing my life circle at the beginning of the term. As a first step I will wake up at 6 a.m. tomorrow morning.
Oh, it's a few minutes before midnight. I have to go to bed any moment from now.
CNN News : Cities go dark to mark Earth Hour