Tuesday, 3 June 2008

personal comments

I've read an interesting blog article by a professor teaching English at the University. He got very upset about his student's net-surfing in his class. He tried not to use the Internet in his class, but it didn't work out. He also suggested his student not to attend his class if they just want to get course credits without any willingness for learning.

I deeply understand his feeling. It's absolutely stupid to spend tuition money to do net-surfing or doze off. Why can most students spoil the money that their parent provided? Much much better earn money by yourself than spoil the tuition money for granted. It is no use taking only a college degree today. Now you are a full grown adult. Find a job right now if you do that!

However I can't say only the students are wrong, because the professor might have been doing sleep-inducing lecture in his class.

When I started studying English in the junior high school, my teacher was a native English speaker. Thanks to her, I created interest in English. She showed us how much fun English conversation was.

However in my second year, the teacher was changed to a Japanese man whose pronunciation of English was super-horrible. I dropped interest in English at all. During school trip in Kyoto, the teacher tried to talk to travelers from abroad. Guess what? His English didn't get through to them at all. In addition, the travelers asked him what he wanted to say clearly, the teacher couldn't catch what they said! Despite the fact that some students guessed what the travelers said!!!

Of course the teacher seemed disappointed. However we didn't really care about that. More importantly, all his students felt really miserable. Why would we have to be taught from this man??? We were his victims, weren't we?


Almost all the students just had studied English to get high score in the entrance exam of the University. The professor I read his blog must notice that kind of student's backgrounds. His student might think his normal lecture is as boring as high school English class. And to make matters worse, they don't want to study English as having no entrance exam any more.

So, I think he have to make a class more enjoyable,first. Before kicking against the pricks, it will be better that he shows his students how fun English conversation can be at any cost.




Thank you for reading.Japanese blog ranking site