Friday, 6 June 2008

The Ainu


Recognition at last for Japan's Ainu

BBC News reported: Japan's parliament is to adopt a resolution that, for the first time, formally recognises the Ainu as "an indigenous people with a distinct language, religion and culture".
In a nation that has always preferred to perceive itself as ethnically homogenous, it is a highly significant move.


Above expression is very sarcastic, isn't it? But it is true that the Japanese prefer to perceive that we are ethnically homogenous.

Do you know a book of children's literature titled "Whistle of Kotan (Kotan no Kuchibue)"? This is a story of young brother and sister who are the Ainu people deeply distressed by bullying of race discrimination.

I read this book when I was 11-year-old. It was a bit difficult for me at that time, but I could understand at least what race discrimination was. And I noticed majority rule is not always justice.

After reading the book, I had doubts about Japanese history. Why did the truth of Ainu history eliminate from text book?

I heard a lot of people said Japan is homogeneous country on the TV, many many times. Even at the school, teacher said the Japanese people have specialty based on homogeneous society for thousands of years. I used to argue against teacher on each situation.

I am into issue of Tibet because Japan has same history of China. Japan shouldn't have divested the Ainu of nature and culture. It was historic resolution that Japan's parliament recognise the Ainu as an indigenous people with a distinct language, religion and culture. Thinking of all they've lost before now, it was crucial misguided policy. But better late than never. It is toooooooo late though...

To find a way to coexist with nature, Japanese people have a lot of things to learn from Ainu's spirit and culture. I love this spirit of the Ainu: "Everything you have is not owned by you."




Thank you for reading.Japanese blog ranking site